Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day Fifteen: First Day of Class (Unoffically)

I finally made it to a class, so it was my unofficial first day of classes, er class... one, singular. I woke up at 7 and then I woke up again at 12:30 and i still had more than enough time to get ready for my three o'clock class, which was my first and only class of the day, British Life and Culture. It was a very slow morning, do to the fact that i could only move at my slowest rate. Walking to class took about 35 minutes, it was suppose to be between a 15-20 minute walk, so yeah it was a very relaxed pace. It only ached a bit, but i was on the pain killers that Philipa gave me, so i made it all the way to class without having to come back to my apartment.

Class was interesting, because it really analyzes the British culture and people. For example their nationality is very skewed because they are European (recently), British (which is all of the United Kingdom) and they are English. Not to mention that they have been invaded by so many cultures such as the Saxons and the Vikings. So, that is part of what i learned today and I did not even take notes.

Allie and I walked back from class very slowly and then we decided to go out to dinner. We ended up at the Albert, which is the pub on our corner. I had a cheeseburger and chips (fries) and it was very delicious and satisfying. It was kind of like Dad's cowboy burgers the way they cooked them, and they even gave me a side of ... salsa? I just ordered a beefburger so i guess that is how they cook them over here. It was sooo good. Allie and I ended up sitting there for about two hours just talking. We are getting along very well. OH also we split the most delicious brownie and ice cream. It was not your standard brownie and ice cream, oh it was sooo much more. I cannot even explain it to you. The chocolate was more chocolaty and the vanilla was more vanilla-y. So. Good.

We both agree that we lucked out in everything that has happened over here. Getting the Adams family, our little flat that is separated from the main household so we can have more freedom, having the Albert so close when we do not want to cook, having a small convenience store conveniently on the corner of our home, a giant park at the other end of our street, the hospital down the road and getting each other as flatmates. We have really got so much good from our experience.

There are some people here who fill out the stereotypical American to a 't' which is sad. They are quite foolish in how they are taking advantage of their time here. They choose to go out every night and spend their money on cover charges to clubs or on massive quantities of alcohol, but instead i am going to travel Europe. I am very glad I am me, and that i rather experience what i cannot get at home while i am home... so yeah, haha. It had to be said, sorry.

Anyway, now i am lying on my back with a heating pad trying to catch up on everything i feel behind in. I am still trying to see if I can afford Norway, i should know by the end of tonight. I need to start my paper for one of my classes. I need to plot out when my breaks are and when I have trips, and so much more. I cannot even think of all i need to do before i am allowed to sleep.

UPDATE: I have officially bought a round trip flight to Norway to see my relative Helene Hommo in Telemark, Vinje. It is on a fjord, from what i can see on google earth... !!!!!!!!!! I am very excited, and nervous. Also, I am slightly concerned to the precise time and date that I grew a pair bold enough to buy a plane ticket by myself to travel to Norway by myself to see a relative i have never met in person and who knows very little English. All i can say to them in Norwegian is "shut up," and that may be inappropriate. Oh lordy, adventure! I am going to need prayers and luck on this one guys!

Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. You are adventuresome and I am so proud of you. I havve you always in my thoughts and prayers.
    I love you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing!! after emailing with you yesterday i finally got around to reading your blog and just finished...haha, it's great to be a state worker ;-) ;-) i'm so happy to hear you're having such a wonderful time!! hope you're feeling better, chickadee! miss you lots and lots and lots and take care of yourself. i'm so very, very proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh and in my haste to set up my account, forgot the most important thing...

    love you lots!!! munson :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristave, i am so proud of you. Keep up the adventure and absolutely take advantage of what is around you while you can. try to keep up on the studies so that those over nighters are at a minimum. I love you ! be safe

    ReplyDelete