Thursday, November 26, 2009

Day Sixty Nine: Happy Thanksgiving!

PICTURES: 1) Tom Felton who is Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter was in Kingston, but sadly I did not see him. 2) A hand turkey in celebration of this great feasting day! (http://www. blogadilla.com /wp-content/ uploads/2007/ 11/hand-turkey .jpg)

This is a really great day! Busy with classes, got another presentation and some schoolwork out of the way. After busy, busy class time I ran home to make an apple pie from scratch. Oh boy.

So basically I did not have real recipe, so I kind of made it up as I went along. I started the crust, with flour, salt, butter and water. Then I worked on the apples with the apples, sugar and cinnamon. Then I kind of made it up as I went along, it was a lot of fun. I ended up being covered in flour, much like the rest of the kitchen. However I did hit a snag. By no ones fault but my own, I ended up turning my whole pie face flat on the kitchen floor. It was like slow motion, and all I could do was laugh. Erin was very apologetic, apparently she thinks it is her fault. Its not! Don't worry! It's mine! But yeah, I laughed and then began making pie number two an hour before we had to be on location for out THANKSGIVING DINNER.

The second pie, not to toot my own horn, was amazing! Though at one point it did have me saying, "when did I get so domestic!" The second pie, do to my rush ended up having a very thick crust, it was not flaky but more like ... a soft cookie? That tasted like apple pie crust? There were not many apples left for the inside and they did not cook very long, but it became like a filling between the pie crust much like an apple tart in nature, but the apples were still tangy. It was delicious, and I can never make it again, because there was no recipe.

Thanksgiving was a lot of fun. I got to see all my friends and sit a a table with the coolest kids ever. We were from all over the US: west coast, east coast and the mid-west. We had a great time filling out what we were thankful for on post-its and reading them too each other. They were really nice and sweet comments. It was so loud being surrounded by American's in a social context for a very long time. It was not overwhelming, it was home, haha. European's are so quiet. It was a lot of fun, and really filling. The people at my table, my friends, are such good cooks. We were provided the turkey, ham and mashed potatoes. We provided green bean casserole, rolls, biscuits, homemade cranberry sauce (!!!), stuffing, apple pie (mine), pumpkin pie, cookies, oh man... I cannot even remember there was so much. We were very full by the end of it, and very happy.

I am not ready to leave anymore. I am scared to leave, because it will be so hard to come back, financially. Philipa told me I am always welcome to come back and they would keep me in their home. It's weird that this place I have called my home for the last almost 3 months is going to be the hardest place to get to once I leave. It has been the place I ran to after long journeys, when I was homesick, when I needed a break from the stresses of being how I am. It's weird.

ALSO, a friend of mine met Tom Felton! Aka: Draco Malfoy. Apparently he was in the Wagamama's (chain restaurant) here in Kingston. I wonder what brought him here, haha. I am really jealous, but still I have never been so close to a Harry Potter star before! His picture is above ^

<3 you. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends from the U.S. Where did you all gather for this fantastic meal? How many of you were there that gathered in this celebration?
    I understand that it will be hard to leave your world in England but we miss you and are looking forward to having you home.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete