Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day Twenty Nine: London at Night

PICTURE: I did not take this picture, the credit goes to http://www. paultownend.com /html/ photos-london. html, and no i have no idea who he is. I just wanted to show you a taste of London at night, especically the Big Ben and the green light which was one guide for me back to Waterloo station. The huge London Eye was my other guide, it was lit up red.

This morning is nothing to write home about, i woke up to do some work but i all i did was go over what i have to memorize and recite for class on friday. I was impressed with myself, because i really know it, but i know i will forget it as soon as i stand up in front of my class. Class today was boring, so i organized myself, i found 5 free weekends and quickly filled them up with "ideas."

Tonight is something to write home about. All day i was apprehensive about what my evening plans were: traveling into central London, more specifically the Theater District, to see the musical Wicked! I had spent last night making travel plans, train from Norbiton to Waterloo, walking from Waterloo to Victoria Street and then take a left into the theater. Well ladies and gentleman, I would be the one not to follow my plans.

The train went well and the walking did to a point, but then i veered off the path as i often do and managed to get myself about a mile off track. The area felt weird to me, and i couldnt find myself on the map i was carrying. So i turned to see four very well dressed men behind me, and as i could only do in that moment in time, i asked them for help. One of them pulled out their iphone right away for directions, another looked at my map and they concluded together where i needed to go. They walked me to the rode i needed and then i ran. I ran the whole way to the main street i was supposed to be on, Victoria Street, only briefly pausing to ask the nice and well dressed people if i was heading in the right direction. I was running out of leisure time and i was determined to see this musical. I knew i was almost there, and i did not want to risk another ounce of time, so i asked a man next to me to point me in the right direction, he walked me practically to the door.

I was about 10 minutes late, but they still let me into the theater. Folks, if you have not seen Wicked, you need too. I laughed, I cried and it really spoke to everything i was feeling since i have been here. It was the perfect thing for me to see and it was worth everything i went through to get there. All the running, talking to strangers, and the anxiousness i felt about getting to the theater at all. There is a very strong story line in Wicked about friendship, and it made me really appreciate the luck i have had with my friends. A line went something like, "i have had many friends, but only one who mattered," i felt that line really spoke for me. Only instead of only one who mattered, there are a few friends of mine who mean the world to me, and i know you know who you are. Really, you need to see Wicked if you have not, it is an excellent musical with empowering music, heart-swelling stories and demanding/emotional performances.

The whole way home i was in the best mood, due to the adrenaline from my expericence before the musical and due to the acutal musical. I think people avoided me on the way home, because i was just smiling like a manic, sometimes i thought about something so good i would even have a little chuckle escape my hold. So, how to keep people from approaching you at night in London, be happy for no apparent reason. I did make friends with a little Irish woman. I wanted to make sure i was on the right road, i did not want to wander off. She looked harmless enough sitting at the bus stop, but i think i alarmed her as i approached her. Turns out she was like me a small town person in a big city who just needed to share their night with someone who may even be a stranger. She had been standing in line for two hours to see relics, after traveling all the way from southern Ireland. Basically, she had no idea where she was either. Towards the end of conversation she asked me where i was from, not recognizing my accent and she seemed surprised when i answered New York. Apparently, as i have been told many times i do not have a brutal American accents, apparently i have a very gentle accents. I guess the stereotype of an American is one with a very harsh accent, but i do not know what that could possibly be... southern? Brooklyn? I cannot guess, but i guess i do not fill in the stereotype, which i think is awesome.

I walked the rest of the way to Parliament square after asking the scattered bobbies (policemen) if i was still going the right way. I could not help but stop in front of the Westminster Abbey and reminisce about the last time i had been in that very spot. I looked up at its too massive pillars and the sculptures of saints and important figures which i had taken pictures of when i was a 10th grader in high school. I remembered thinking then, because of my habitually romantic (in the literary sense) personality, "i am coming back here." I had always said it, and thought it and there was never any doubt in my voice, but i am not sure even then i believed i would actually make it back. There i stood tonight, just where i said i would 6 years ago, and i had proved myself right, i had made it back. I am such a different person now. I am independent, as i proved tonight, i am confident, as i proved even taking the chance in coming here, and I have the ability to set goals and reach them, as i proved by making it to Westminster Abbey again 6 years later.

This blog entry proves that i made it home tonight after my solitary venture into central London. I hopes this gives you all back home more confidence in my abilities, because it did for me. Also, i am really far behind in my creative writing and i dont want to do it, but i guess i have to, since i missed class to go to Italy, now i feel obligated.

Love you all and miss you! But i finally feel like i am truly in England, tonight was perfect, even the part where i got lost! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment