Friday, December 18, 2009

Day Ninety Two: Au Revoir London

Today was an insanely busy day. I woke up at 7 so I could finish my paper for my portfolio that I have to turn in today, because I am leaving the country. Technically it is not due until January, but as I will not be here... Then i went to class, which is canceled which made me mad because I needed my tutor to sign something, but dont worry i emailed her and she said it would be fine. Then i went shopping in Kingston where I got Hanna the best christmas present and I also exchanged my leftover euros into dollars. Then I went home and relaxed for a minute, for the first time in awhile. Then I went to a goodbye lunch set up by the international office and I got to see everyone for a last time, that was sad but I am not thinking about that now. Then I went to the library with Ruthie to return books, for the last time.

From the library I got on the train and went into central london. I ended up walking around for 3ish hours, I walked a lot. Also, I ended up getting 15 scarves for 25 pounds... AWESOME and they are a really super good quality! So, it was a killing and I got a free pin with them! It was sad saying goodbye to the Big Ben and the London Eye and Parliament and Trafalgar Square, the west end, the west minister... London in general. It was so sad. But I am not thinking about that.

As i walked through the city i couldnt help but think of a line from gilmore girls, which i thought was really funny, "its not scary anymore." and thats how i felt, it wasnt a scary place anymore. I didnt feel lost, overwhelmed or confused. I knew that if i wandered off my beaten path i could figure out how to get home, even without a map. i knew that i did not need to be afraid and i realize how homey london was to me now. the idea sprung up on me, but i liked it. being independant is not scary anymore.

When I got home, I repacked my already super full suitcase to fit in the scarves and then we had a "family dinner" It was a lot of fun, we did the pork and apple recipe that dad did before I left, and it was really good. Allie cooked, of course, haha. We sat around and had a really good time. There were christmas crackers with the crowns that you always see in movies, and we wore them when we ate. It was fun, i really felt british then. and I should i have lived here for three months.

we played a game called articulate, we being me allie john philipa joe and kia, where you had a word and had to get ur team to guess it. it was kinda like balderdash but without the list of words you couldnt use. joe, kia and i were on the winning team and that was fun. these people are a lot of fun and i am going to miss them a lot. they got allie and i presents which is also packed in my suitcase, i am not allowed to open it until christmas.

i am going to miss everyone so much. even my american friends live all over the usa from cali to north carolina ... like everywhere!

one last night in this home, my english home. how weird.

cant wait to see all you home people!

1 comment:

  1. So sad you sound. So grown-up you sound. We miss you and we are glad you are on your way home to our house. Maybe you will be back to visit them soon.
    Love ya, MOM

    ReplyDelete