Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day Fifty Nine: Nowary and National





Okay let's do this:

NORWAY:

DAY ONE:
It was an very interesting travel experience. My walk to the train station was awesome. The train ride to the second train ride was smooth. The ride to the second train station was smoother, and then it got rough. First I could not find the bus station so I walked around the station block twice looking for the signs. When I found them, I ended up standing in line for nearly and hour. A man from Turkey kept me entertained by talking about politics, religion, the creation of the world, philosophy and the Matrix. Once I got on the bus I met another man I wished I never met. He was from Somalia. The night I spent in the Stanstead Airport was not a sleeping night. For the first time on purpose I managed to stay awake all night. I had a cup of coffee and a chocolate muffin to help. Also, I kept going on random walks to keep the blood pumping.

DAY TWO:
I got on the airplane, and made another new friend. She was a girl from Norway and is now my friend on facebook. I gave her a Hershey Bar, haha, so basically I am the best friend ever. I slept the whole hour and 35 minute flight and was really disorientated when I woke up. As I walked through the passport control, I was asked if I spoke Norwegian because I had a very Norwegian name. He asked in Norwegian and I understood, which was exciting! However, sadly I had to say no. Helene met me at the airport, later she told me she was very nervous, but I ran over and gave her a hug. I was excited to see any kind of family no matter how distant or no matter that I had never met her before. She had brought her friend Toni (that's how she pronounced her name, I don't know how to spell it). In the car we had a really good conversation, and then I fell asleep on them. We stopped a few times, because I was looking for a winter jacket and they were looking for... stuff? I did not find a winter jacket because they are very expensive in Norway. I saw a lot that I liked though, so now I know what I am after when I get my new one. We got lots of candy for the car ride, which I did not end up eating. I am not much of a candy person to begin with, but they also have salt candy in Norway. Yes... a sweet candy covered in salt. I tried it, I did not like it. Helene did buy me a drink called Yule Brus (I think that's how it is spelt) which is a drink that only comes out for Christmas. It tasted like orange soda, but not as sweet. I liked it. We went back to Helene's home and I got to take a shower and then we traveled back to Toni's home. There we had dinner, tacos, and I feel asleep on the couch as Helene and Toni got ready to go to a party. A Norwegian party is basically a High School dance where the whole town gets together. The only difference is that they only swing dance and that they also serve alcohol. It was fun watching them all, and listening to the live Norwegian band, but it was very late at night and I was too tired to physically participate. I was taken back to Helene's brother's home where I waited for them to pick up two more people after the party. Again, I feel asleep on his couch, but he soon woke me up to feed me pizza. He showed me a nifty trick of putting ketchup on your pizza, surprisingly delicious. Also, it is important to note that I did not starve in Norway.

DAY THREE:
After sleeping in a very cold room, we went back to Helene's home. I had slept with my sweatpants, two pairs of socks, two shirts, a cami, my long sleeve shirt, my sweater, my rain jacket, my wool hat and my gloves and I was very comfortable. Norwegian mattresses are really comfy, they were basically like giant foam pads, so I slept very well. After showering and eating at Helene's, we went to my 2nd Counsin's, which is Helene's grandmother, for a late lunch/early dinner. We slept for a very long time, around 1ish, and we had to be at her house by 2. She fed us stew, meatballs, chuchabur (I don't know how to spell it, but the little red berries), and very thin crackers. It was delicious, it tasted as if I was home. I was very happy. I could not really take part in the conversation, because I do not speak any Norwegian, but I was still very comfortable in their home. My 2nd cousin showed me pictures of her cabin up in northern Norway and allowed me to take the pictures, so I can show you all when I get home. She also gave me a few other gifts for myself and for my family, but I am not going to tell you because they are going to be surprises for my family when I get home. But I promise you will love it, they are really thoughtful and wonderful gifts. After lunch, we went to another relatives home, but I cannot remember how. Their house was beautiful. It was an old Norwegian home, but it was designed for a big family. It was very comforting. They had a little black dog whom I loved and I played with it a lot because I miss Ko. It was not the same as playing with Ko, but it was fun all the same. Here we had dessert and I met a lot more family. This family may come visit me here in London before I go home. I have to work that out still. I told them all about America, cause they asked, and about the Bergene family back home, because they did not know all the details. Next we went back to Helen's and just relaxed for awhile. We ate hot rolls and brown cheese for dinner and it was the greatest dinner ever.

DAY FOUR:
This was my last day in Norway. I was allowed to sleep in, and take a long shower and eat a slow breakfast. Then we headed off for a shopping day. Helene had to go to work, but I was left with my 2nd cousin and the relative that I cannot remember how they are related to me. I got a jacket with them, and I really like it. It's a stylish jacket and my family in Norway is so generous, it was the only thing I was allowed to buy while I was there. Helene also gave me some marsipan before I left her. Me and my 2nd cousin went to get my other relative and after some shopping we headed to my Great Aunt's. She was Grandpa Toby's sister and I was very excited to meet her. It turned out she was very excited to meet me as well. We had light sandwiches and although she could not speak English, my relative translated for us. It was great to hear the stories and talk to her about everyone. A lot more family came to meet me at her home and that was a lot of fun. I told them all about all of us back in the states and made them family trees so they know how many relatives they had. They were surprised that Grandma had been born in Norway, apparently they did not know that. I loved sharing stories and hearing stories. For example, Grandpa Toby called his sister the night before he died and spoke to her in Norwegian, but he had never spoke to her in Norwegian after he moved to America. I had a really excellent time. She gave me many gifts, many surprising gifts. Again I will share this when I get home. Though I did accumulate a lot of chocolate from them, which I am bringing back. On the plane I was very unhappy because I did not want to leave family. I read my book, but I kept thinking of my time in Norway. The trip back home was not so nice. I got stranded at a train station, and had to take an hour long bus ride back home. That was not fun, but I am resourceful now, haha.

OKAY, so that was my trip to Norway. It was a great experience and I am very happy to have reconnected with them. It was a surprise to me but Dad had been sending pictures to my Great Aunt and I used them to share about our family. We have a few more people to send Christmas Tours too! They also really want everyone to come and see them, and I promise you will have the best time.

NATIONAL THEATER: NATION:
Last night I was required to go to the National Theater to see a play for my British Life and Culture class. At first I was unhappy because I was still tired from my trip and I was very stressed by the amount of work I had to do still for this week and next week. However, me going was the best decision I have ever made. Not only did I get to see London at night again, which is my favorite thing to see in this country, but I also saw the greatest play I have ever seen. The first few minutes were startling for two reasons. 1) I have not seen any modern theater and 2) I had no idea what was going on and it started really fast. The play was not modern, but it did have modern elements. Plot: It was about two young people on individual journey's that have been brought together. The girl was on a ship that sunk and she was washed on a island. Her demons was the guilt she felt by her mother's death while giving birth to her little brother and them not being buried together. The boy was a native and he was on a quest to become a man when his whole tribe was killed, so there was no one left to tell him that he was a man. Also, he lost his faith in his people and his religion which was a problem he faced by the end. He ended up becoming the leader of the survivors and they made their own nation and she helped him. It was a great quest story and I am doing little justice to how well it was done. The acting was so believable, as was the story I felt it was very much real and that I was apart of it. At one point a gun was pulled on the boy and I squealed out loudly I was so terrified. The set was beautiful. The costumes were beautiful. The creative edge put into it was imaginative, clever and brilliant. It is based off a novel, a novel I am going to have to find. If I could I would go an watch it again. I loved every minute, say for the first few, of that play. And even now thinking back, I even love those first scenes because I understand how they fit into the play and how they play was set up for the audience. So yes, I loved every minute of that play. Brava.

TODAY:
Today, I was stressed because of school work. I did meet a girl going to New Paltz, so I gave her my email address if she had any questions. Also, I discovered that the British find the thought of Peanut Butter and Jelly to be a disgusting idea. Weird, right? That made me laugh, because they were talking about cheese and honey on toast, but peanut butter and jelly was gross. Funny. I saw all my English friends today too and that was very good for my social stress relief.

Fun stuff, LOVE YOU ALL! I hope you enjoyed my trip and adventures and stories!

2 comments:

  1. You just sound so grown up and independent. It's hard for me to imagine you as my little girl any more. You are an amazing young lady.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trip sounds fantastic! what a fabulous country and exciting to meet family. some day i do hope your mom and dad can get over there. i love you and am so proud of your ventures and how you are doing it all on your own. i love you and look forward to see you at christmas!
    love aunt sharon.......uncle paul says hi and of course paulie and luzie sends hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete